This is "Kampong Senaling" taken in 2006. Has not changed since the 50s - gateway to Sri Menanti
'Kampong Senaling is approximately 5 kilometres from Kuala Pilah - on the Tampin trunk road'
" MAY PEACE BE UPON YOU "

02 March 2010

Thought 03MAR2010

DON'T PUNISH EVERY MISTAKE
In one of my assignments as a young infantry officer, I was sent to the 48th Infantry near Frankfurt, Germany. In those days our prize weapon was a huge 280-mm atomic cannon. Guarded by infantry platoons, these guns were hauled around the forests on trucks to keep the Soviets from guessing their location. One day Captain Tom Miller assigned my platoon to guard a 280. I alerted my men, loaded my .45 caliber pistol and jumped into my jeep. I had not gone far when I realized that my .45 was gone.

I was petrified. In the army, losing a weapon is serious business. I had no choice but to radio Captain Miller to tell him. "You what?" He said in disbelief. He paused a few seconds, then added, "All right, continue the mission." When I returned, uneasily contemplating my fate, Miller called me over. "I've got something for you," he said, handing me the pistol. "Some kids in the village found it where it fell out of your holster."

"Kids found it?" I felt a cold chill. "Yeah," he said. "Luckily they only got off one round before we heard the shot and took the gun away." The disastrous possibilities left me limp. "For God's sake, son, don't let that happen again." He drove off. I checked the magazine and found it was full. The gun had not been fired. Later I learned that I had dropped it in my tent before I ever got started. Miller had fabricated the scene about the kids to give me a good scare.Today the army might hold an investigation, call in lawyers and likely enter a bad mark on my record. Miller gave me the chance to learn from my mistake. His example of intelligent leadership was not lost on me. Nobody ever got to the top without slipping up. When someone stumbles, I don't believe in stomping on him. My philosophy is "Pick 'em up, dust 'em off and get 'em moving again."
Collin Powell - Extracted from the "Chicken Soup Series", Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, Patty Aubery & Nancy Mitchell, R.N., Health Communications, Inc., 1996
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change - Charles Darwin

No comments:

Percussion Band (1964) - Kuala Pilah Padang

Percussion Band (1964) - Kuala Pilah Padang

Percussion Band (1965) - Kuala Pilah Padang

Percussion Band (1965) - Kuala Pilah Padang

Standard 4 (1966) - Tunku Munawir School, Kuala Pilah

Standard 4 (1966) - Tunku Munawir School, Kuala Pilah

Standard 5 (1967) - Tunku Munawir School, Kuala Pilah

Standard 5 (1967) - Tunku Munawir School, Kuala Pilah

Form 3 (1971) - Ampang Road Boys School, Kuala Lumpur

Form 3 (1971) - Ampang Road Boys School, Kuala Lumpur

THE WISE WAY - Parodoxical Commandments

  • People are often unreasonable, illogical and self-centred; Forgive them anyway
  • If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway.
  • If you are successful, you will win some false friends and true enemies; Succeed anyway.
  • If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you; Be honest and frank anyway.
  • What you spend years building, someone may destroy overnight; Build anyway.
  • If you find serenity and happiness, others may be jealous; Be happy anyway.
  • The good you do today, people may often forget tomorrow; Do good anyway.
  • Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough; Give the world the best you got anyway.
  • You see, in the final analysis, it is all between you and GOD; It was never between you and them anyway.
  • .......................................................................................................
  • Written by Kent M Keith when he was 19, first published by the Harvard Student Agencies in 1968.