This is "Kampong Senaling" taken in 2006. Has not changed since the 50s - gateway to Sri Menanti
'Kampong Senaling is approximately 5 kilometres from Kuala Pilah - on the Tampin trunk road'
" MAY PEACE BE UPON YOU "

15 October 2008

Thought 16OCT2008

GIVING FROM THE HEART
When I was a teenager, probably 13, my mother taught me a very valuable lesson I've never forgotten. We were grocery shopping in a small store one day when I noticed a family came into the store. It looked like a mother, her daughter and her granddaughter. They were clean but dressed in worn clothes and it was obvious they were less fortunate. They pushed a cart through the store, carefully selecting items, mostly generic and all necessary foods.

My mother and I finished our shopping and headed toward the clerk to pay. As we got there, the family was in front of us, with one person in between. As I watched the family place groceries on the conveyor belt, I heard the mother ask the clerk every so often to subtotal, as she only had so much to spend. This took a while and the person in front of me was getting noticeably impatient and even started mumbling things which I'm sure were overheard. When the store clerk did a final total, the woman did not have enough money so she began pointing to different food items to put back. My mother reached in her purse, pulled out a twenty dollar bill and handed it to the woman. The woman looked very surprised and said, "I can't take that!" My mother looked directly at the woman and quietly replied, "Yes, you most certainly can. Consider it a gift. There's nothing in that cart you don't really need, so please accept it." The woman then reached out and took the money, squeezing my mom's hand for just a moment and with tears running down her cheeks, said, "Thank you very much. No one's has ever done nothin' like this for me before."

I know I left the store with tears in my eyes and it is something I will cherish forever. You see, my parents raised six children and didn't have a whole lot of money themselves, although I can never remember wanting for anything. I'm very happy to say that I inherited her caring heart. I have given selflessly before and there is not a better feeling in the whole world!
Dee M Taylor - extracted from "A Cup of Chicken Soup for the Soul", Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, Barry Spilchuk; Health Communications Inc, 1996
Good habits result from resisting temptation - American Proverb

No comments:

Percussion Band (1964) - Kuala Pilah Padang

Percussion Band (1964) - Kuala Pilah Padang

Percussion Band (1965) - Kuala Pilah Padang

Percussion Band (1965) - Kuala Pilah Padang

Standard 4 (1966) - Tunku Munawir School, Kuala Pilah

Standard 4 (1966) - Tunku Munawir School, Kuala Pilah

Standard 5 (1967) - Tunku Munawir School, Kuala Pilah

Standard 5 (1967) - Tunku Munawir School, Kuala Pilah

Form 3 (1971) - Ampang Road Boys School, Kuala Lumpur

Form 3 (1971) - Ampang Road Boys School, Kuala Lumpur

THE WISE WAY - Parodoxical Commandments

  • People are often unreasonable, illogical and self-centred; Forgive them anyway
  • If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway.
  • If you are successful, you will win some false friends and true enemies; Succeed anyway.
  • If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you; Be honest and frank anyway.
  • What you spend years building, someone may destroy overnight; Build anyway.
  • If you find serenity and happiness, others may be jealous; Be happy anyway.
  • The good you do today, people may often forget tomorrow; Do good anyway.
  • Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough; Give the world the best you got anyway.
  • You see, in the final analysis, it is all between you and GOD; It was never between you and them anyway.
  • .......................................................................................................
  • Written by Kent M Keith when he was 19, first published by the Harvard Student Agencies in 1968.